This post is brought to you by CableMover, however all opinions remain 100% mine. Check out my post on the CableMover blog!
When you think of New Orleans, chances are that images of Mardi Gras, Bourbon Street and general debauchery come to mind. But, did you know that New Orleans is a very kid-friendly City? As a New Orleans native, I have grown up here and am now raising my own children in this wonderful place that I am proud to call home. In a City rich with tradition and culture, your kids will never be bored. Here are my Top 10 Places to Visit in New Orleans with Kids:
10. Audubon Butterfly Garden and Insectarium: If you have a bug lover in your home, buzz by this unique museum where you will look at, learn about and even eat insects! The 4-D animated movie at the end of the tour is always a fan favorite.
9. Roll on the River on the Natchez: The last authentic Steamboat to travel the Mighty Mississippi, the two hour tour offers scenic views along with delicious food (and kids will love the calliope).
8. City Park Storyland: Relive your childhood by taking your own kids to play in, around and on 25 larger than life storybook sculptures. Be sure to visit the Amusement Park just next door and take a ride on the restored antique wooden carousel.
7. Audubon Aquarium of the Americas: Meet the penguins, sea otters, jellyfish, and white alligator that are proud to call New Orleans home. Many interactive exhibits including petting stingrays and feeding parakeets are sure to delight your little ones!
6. Cafe du Monde: All of this sightseeing is sure to work up an appetite! Don’t miss the sugary beignets that natives can’t get enough of.
5. Take a ride on a Streetcar: For kids that are train lovers, this is a great way to inexpensively see the beautiful and historic homes of the Garden District.
4. New Orleans Museum of Art: This museum has recently made great strides in making art accessible to little ones! Join fun adventures such as StoryQuest which will both teach and entertain the kids.
3. Louisiana Children’s Museum: Looking for a hands-on interactive adventure? Learn all about NOLA culture in a wonderland of fun at this museum.
2. Audubon Zoo: Ranked among the country’s best for innovation and entertainment value, the Audubon Zoo is not to be missed. Lions, tigers, elephants, sea lions, giraffes and my personal favorite, the orangutans are all asking for you!
1. Mardi Gras: Yes, I said Mardi Gras! The two week long celebration is actually quite kid-friendly! Choosing a spot to watch the parades is key (and an article all by itself), but your kids will never forget the lights, music, throws, costumes and sense of community you will only find in New Orleans. And don’t forget to eat some King Cake, too!
Have I convinced you to visit or perhaps move to New Orleans? If you are in the process of moving, check out this great free service, CableMoverwhich will help you find the best deals on bundled services for TV, Internet and telephone service in your new area. Come share your City’s Top 10 on CableMover’s Facebook page and connect with them on Twitter for more tips!