You would think that with the heat in New Orleans, public pools, water slides and splash parks would be abundant. However, they are actually few and far between. So, you can imagine our excitement when the new Splash Park at Lafreniere Park opened today to the public!
We took the girls to check out the scene and were delighted at the activities to cool off in the hot weather. The splash park is gated and includes about 10 different sprinklers, fountains and misters. My daughters (ages 4 and 7) had a great time and can’t wait to go back!
Here are a few things to consider before heading to the new splash park:
- The ground is quite slippery. My girls fell several times even though they were not running. Bring crocs or water shoes and have your kids wear them while playing.
- Bring sunglasses! The pavement is very white and the sun reflects right off of it making it hard to watch your kids.
- There is absolutely, positively no running and the attendants will tell you repeatedly.
- The splash park is only for kids ages 10 and under.
- Infants must wear a swim diaper.
The Splash Park at Lafreniere is free July 13-July 15, 2012. After this time, an entry fee for kids under 10 is $5 for a 45 minute session. Parents will not be charged admission.
Stay cool and have fun!