My degree is in Biology. Three years ago, I knew very little about web design, blogging, site statistics and even less about working with brands (I didn’t even know that was a possibility). But, as I started my blog, it quickly became an obsession to learn all I could to create a successful site. While I am still far from an expert, I have learned a few simple lessons (some the hard way):
1. Buy your domain! Do it now. Seriously.
2. Buy any domains remotely similar to yours.
3. Build an alliance. Having blogging friends to collaborate with is invaluable (and helps to keep your sanity)!
4. Brand yourself. How do you stand out from the rest?
5. Be true to yourself. Don’t let anyone tell you that your genre or niche is not valid.
6. Create a Media Kit to showcase your brand to potential advertisers. Update it frequently.
7. Be nice. Be honest. Be fair.
I feel like I have come such a long way in three years, but I still have a long way to go! In fact, I am still working to create PDF of my own media kit. On many occasions, I have been asked for my advertising rates and it would be so much easier to have a saved document to convert PDF and share with PR professionals. I definitely need a free PDF trial and some great advice so I can learn the ropes of creating a media kit!
What have you learned from blogging? What do you hope to learn in the future?