You just have to love winter, right? The cozy sweaters, the crisp air, roaring fires, hot chocolate and….the flu. With kids staying indoors more during the winter, germs seem to have a field day. Recently, Wet Ones launched the Healthy Hands Zone to help kids learn about the importance of clean hands. Bill Nye the Science Guy steps in to make learning fun with several interesting Science experiments (which is right up my alley!) to do with your little scientists!
I decided to try a few of the projects with my daughters (ages 3 and 6) and they had a ball while learning all about germs. Check out the following video to see what we did!
After three days, we checked on the progress of our bread experiment. As you can see in the picture below, both the “dirty” and “washed” breads had grown black and green mold while the “Wet Ones” slice was clean! So, our conclusion was that when soap and water are not available, the Wet Ones Antibacterial Wipes (which kills 99.99% of all germs) are a suitable alternative.
Want to try the bread experiment with your kids? Here’s how to join the fun:
What you Need:
- A paper towel
- 3 plastic, sealable sandwich bags
- 3 slices of bread
- Wet Ones® Antibacterial Hand Wipes
1. Tear the paper towel into three pieces of equal size.
2. Dip each piece of paper towel in water.
3. Place one piece of paper towel in each of the plastic bags.
4. Rub your hands in the dirt.
5. Touch your dirty hands to one slice of bread.
6. Put that slice in one of the bags (along with the wet paper towel).
7. Seal the bag tightly.
8. Wash your hands well with soap and water – take a full minute.
9. Pick up another slice of bread with your clean hands and put it in the second bag. Seal it tightly as well.
10. Rub your hands in the dirt again.
11. Wipe your hands clean with a Wet Ones® Antibacterial Hand Wipe.
12. Pick up the last slice of bread and put it in the third bag. Seal it tightly.
13. Label each bag so you remember which one is which.
14. Put the bags aside in a warm, dark place for three to seven days.
If you did the experiment, what were your findings? Did the Wet Ones kill just as many germs as washing your hands? If you are now a Wet Ones believer, check out this coupon for $0.75 off your next purchase!