When you have a new baby, the first thing you want to do is show her off to family and friends! But what happens when you live out of state away from family? One of the great ways to communicate in real time with your loved ones is by using Skype with the assistance of a webcam. Resident Tech Expert for Skype, Jamie Sorcher, wanted to share with us the benefits of using Skype for new Moms:
What is Skype?
Skype is free software that lets you use your computer and Internet connection to communicate with anyone, anywhere in the world. On Skype, you can make free Skype-to-Skype video or audio calls or calls to landlines and mobiles at very low rates.
How Can I use Skype?
To get started on Skype, just download the free software from www.Skype.com. If your computer has a built-in Web cam, you’re ready to make calls. If not, check out the Skype Certified™ Web cams and headsets available at http://shop.skype.com like the FREETALK Buddy Cam and Everyman Headset for great sound. More tips on how to make a call can be read here.
What Should I do During a Skype Video Call?
One of the easiest rules to remember when interacting with anyone during a video call is to be yourself and smile. There is nothing more engaging than smiling throughout your call – just like you would in person! Also important is to make direct eye contact. Your family and friends from around the globe want to see you so stay focused on the Web cam lens so it looks like you’re making eye contact with the person on the other side.
What Will My Friends See?
While you are the focus of the call and the video, remember that there will be background material that your friends and family will see. Think about what you want to show. It could be the baby’s room or the kitchen if you’re having dinner. Whatever is in the camera’s lens when you turn it on is what they’ll see. Look at what the Web cam will show in the Skype “options” menu before the call.
Light Up the Room
Grandma and Grandpa want to see your little one’s smile but won’t be able to see it if it’s too dark in the room. Check to be sure you have enough lighting that doesn’t create shadows or throw too harsh a look into your screen.
Can I Call Regular Phones on Skype?
Yes, you can call landlines or cell phones around the world using Skype. These voice calls can be made for pennies using Skype credit or a monthly subscription, which starts at just $2.95 per month.
Labor of Love Giveaway #9: Webcams and Skype Subscriptions
Skype wants to help you connect with family and friends so they don’t miss one minute of the excitement surrounding your new baby! They have generously offered TWO Not-So-Blog readers the following package:
- One (1) Skype Unlimited U.S. and Canada Subscription (to make regular calls to land lines for those friends who are not yet on Skype) – this is a three-month subscription package.
- One (1) FREETALK® Buddy Cam, an effective and user friendly webcam which clips anywhere and is ready within seconds to send stunning images across the globe.
How to enter:
1. Visit Skype and tell me something you would love to won from their store!
1. Blog about this giveaway and link to The Not-So-Blog.
2. Follow me (@BridgetteLA) on Twitter and Tweet this giveaway. Every time you tweet you get an additional entry! Unlimited! (You must have over 50 Twitter followers to qualify for unlimited entries!)
3. Subscribe to my blog.
4. Become a Fan of The Not-So-Blog on Facebook.
5. Favorite me in Technorati!
Contest ends at 11:59pm CST on September 30th. Prizes not claimed in 72 hours will be forfeited. Open to U.S. Residents only.